Post-Graduation Plan In this Discussion, you complete the Post-Graduation Plan you began to develop in Weeks 6 and 7. Your Post-Graduation Plan is an opportunity to explore how you may continue to dev
In this Discussion, you complete the Post-Graduation Plan you began to develop in Weeks 6 and 7. Your Post-Graduation Plan is an opportunity to explore how you may continue to develop your professional and leadership skills, promote change in your department and organization, and stimulate progress in the nursing profession.
Your Post-Graduation Plan (geared toward the next 2–3 years) should feature two to five career and/or personal goals; goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. In your plan, outline necessary steps for achieving these goals. Also, consider how you can reflect these goals in your curriculum vitae (CV).
- Consider the following:
- As a graduate of Walden University’s DNP program, how will you contribute to or influence factors/developments related to ethics, standards, politics, economics, technology, etc.?
- What opportunities will you pursue to develop scholarship, engage in community service, and/or teach?
- In which professional organizations or associations would you like to become an active member?
- What opportunities do you foresee for attending conferences, delivering presentations and posters, writing papers, lobbying, etc.?
- How will you engage in ongoing review of research/stay current on the literature?
- What strategies do you plan to employ for cultivating professional relationships?
- Would you plan to run for political office or join a committee?
- Explain how you will continue to develop skills as a nurse leader, particularly in your area of specialization (e.g., certifications).
- How you may accommodate for the dynamic health care environment (i.e., how you will build in a renewal cycle/alternate steps to achieve goals)
- How you may account for unexpected personal or professional events in the planning and attainment of professional goals
By Tomorrow Tuesday 8/6/19 before 10pm, in APA format and a minimum of 3 references, create a short summary PowerPoint with a minimum of 10 slides that features five goals and describes steps for achieving these goals.
Resources for the Post-Graduation Plan (also shared during Weeks 6 and 7):
Dickerson, P. S. (2010). Continuing nursing education: Enhancing professional development. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 41(3), 100–101.
This article examines current frames of reference for continuing nursing education and the work that is guiding the future.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2012). Career resource center. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/students/career-resource-center
This website provides a battery of resources for nursing graduates seeking employment.
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. (2010). Career tools and advice. Retrieved from http://www.newcareersinnursing.org/scholars/career-central/tools
This website supplies a variety of guides on applying for jobs.
American Nurses Association. (2012). Career & credentialing. Retrieved from http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/CertificationandAccreditation
This website provides links to guides on careers and credentialing. The website also highlights special membership benefits for ANA members.
Bolles, R. N. (2012). What color is your parachute? 2012: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers. New York, NY: Ten Speed Press.
Isaacs, K. (2010). Surviving and thriving in the workplace: Resume tips for nurses. Ohio Nurses Review, 85(6), 5.