Practicum Learning ObjectivesLife is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.—Ralph Waldo EmersonThe practicum experience provides a significant hands-on opportunity to cultiv
Practicum Learning Objectives
Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
—Ralph Waldo Emerson
The practicum experience provides a significant hands-on opportunity to cultivate your professional growth and development. This course includes a 216-hour practicum as part of the 1,000 clinical hours that are required for the DNP credential.
During your practicum experience for this course, you will cultivate effective interactions to promote the implementation, evaluation, and dissemination of an evidence-based project. In addition, you should pay close attention to the role of leadership in such endeavors and reflect on your own development of leadership competencies, including skillful communication. As you do this, also think about how you may meaningfully contribute to the organization during your remaining time in the setting.
This week you prepare for the practicum experience by developing a plan, including learning objectives and activities. (This is addressed in this week’s Discussion as well).
- Think about learning objectives that will guide your practicum hours, as well as the activities you will undertake to achieve those objectives. Draft three learning objectives that are related to the AACN Essentials, your practice area specialty competencies, and the focus of this course (see course outcomes below).
- Develop a timeline for your practicum experience.
Write a 2-page paper in APA format with at least 3 scholarly references that includes the level one headers as numbered below: (refer to the DNP Essential IV in the attached file named “AACN 2006 DNP Essential” to write the objectives).
1) Three learning objectives for your practicum hours that are aligned to the AACN Essentials, your specialty area competencies, and the focus of this course (i.e., implementation, evaluation, and dissemination of an evidence-based project).
2) Key leadership and other activities you will undertake to fulfill your identified learning objectives
3) A proposed timeline for accomplishing your practicum hours (please divide 216 hours over a ten weeks period).
The Learning Management Corporation. (n.d.). Developing clear learning outcomes and objectives. Retrieved from http://www.thelearningmanager.com/pubdownloads/developing_clear_learning_outcomes_and_objectives.pdf
Osters, S., & Tiu, F. S. (n. d.). Writing measurable learning outcomes. Retrieved from http://www.gavilan.edu/research/spd/Writing-Measurable-Learning-Outcomes.pdf
By the conclusion of this course, you should be able to:
- Synthesize principles of evidence-based practice and appropriate theoretical frameworks in order to evaluate the interventions utilized to address a health care problem at the aggregate, systems, or organizational level
- Evaluate the planning and implementation of evidence-based interventions used to address a health care issue
- Appraise the evaluation process of implemented evidence-based interventions to address health care issues at the aggregate, systems, or organizational level
- Engage in the scholarly dissemination of evidence-based practice activities that promote quality and improved health outcomes
- Demonstrate leadership skills during the practicum experience that demonstrate advanced nursing practice knowledge