WebQuest – Legal and Ethical Issues in Nursing Education
The purpose of this WebQuest is to promote active learning and engagement of a real world situation as you gain new knowledge and understanding of concepts vital to your ongoing success as a nurse educator.
Upon completion of this Assignment you will have a document with a list of reliable and valid online resources for legal and ethical issues relevant to practice and competence as a nurse educator.
The learning outcomes for this WebQuest:
- Explore legal issues impacting the nurse educator.
- Explore ethical issues impacting the nurse educator.
- Explore legal issues impacting practice in a nursing education setting.
- Explore ethical issues impacting practice in a nursing education setting.
To help you complete the WebQuest these resources are provided.
- National League for Nursing. (January 2012). Ethical Principles for Nursing Education Retrieved from http://www.nln.org/newsroom/news-releases/news-release/2014/12/17/national-league-for-nursing-helps-craft-ethics-guidelines-to-address-global-public-health-challenges-for-nursing
- Discussion AreaAn ungraded discussion area is provided for you to share informal conversation with classmates regarding the assignment in Unit 4. Collaboration is encouraged as you work through the requirements of the assignment. Share and learn together. Rules of netiquette apply. The instructor will monitor the conversation in this area but not respond in the discussion forum. This is not a graded discussion.
Sheila, the Dean for a prelicensure BSN program, has just returned from a semester break and while reviewing emails she notices a communication from her supervisor, Frank Richards, the Academic Chair for Health Sciences titled, “Student Grievance: Respond Immediately”. The email states:
Sheila, on our return today this is the first email I opened and I must admit I am quite concerned. This nursing student has alleged numerous grievous ethical and legal infractions against nursing faculty, the nursing program and nursing students. Please review the attached letter and respond immediately. I have set up time tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. to meet in my office.
Sheila is shocked and unable to remember this student. The program serves a diverse community of nearly 300 students per year and has never had any legal or ethical issues in her four year tenure. Before researching further information related specifically to the student, Sheila decides to review the legal charges the student has levied to understand the scope of the issues. After speaking with college legal counsel, Sheila determined the charges alleged by the student were serious and she would need to develop a deeper understanding of relevant legal and ethical issues to formulate a valid, realistic response.
Use the assignment template to identify at least two reliable and valid online resources for each category identified by Shelia as a necessary ethical and legal resource relevant to this situation.
Make sure to save the assignment template appropriately (refer to Unit 1 Assignment).
- Rehabilitation Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- American with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008
- First Amendment Rights
- Fourteenth Amendment Rights
- Civil Rights
- Constitutional Rights
- Due process Rights
- Breach of Conduct Law
- Academic Honesty
- Academic Freedom
Each online resource identified must include:
- a functional link for the resource
- brief description of the resource including rationale for selection related to at least one of the four outcomes;
- rationale for accuracy and reliability of the resource
- authority of the resource including individual or group author clearly stated with credentials or qualification listed
- currency; date of publishing
- APA formatted reference for the resource
- Refer to the WebQuest grading rubric.
You have now created a resource you can use as a reference for legal and ethical issues relevant to practice as a nurse educator. When completing the assignment template, you will be asked to reflect on the following.
- Discuss aspects of the Assignment you found most enhanced your learning experience.
- Discuss aspects of the Assignment you would change to improve the process and the deliverable.
- Discuss how you plan to use the resource sheet you created in your future professional roles.
- Describe how you would respond to the six allegations charged by the student including a rationale with each suggestion. Note this is a reflective response and is only asking for your opinion.