Need health and medical help with Infectious Disease Case Study
I need the 5 questions below answered about this case study. Thank you!
Infectious Disease Case Study
CC: L.F. is a 20 year old male college student with a 2-week history of
cough and increased sputum production who presents to your clinic with new chest
pain when he coughs, shortness of breath, intermittent fever and chills and
HPI: Cough treated with guiafenesin with dextromethorphan obtained form
Allergies: sulfa (nausea)
GEN: DOE and pleuritic chest pain
120/75 HR 95 T 100.5 RR 35 WT 90kg HT 6’4″
CHEST: LUL is CTA with
significantly decreased breath sounds. There are E-to-A changes in the LLL and
across the middle of the right lung field.
COR: tachycardic, no
Chest X-ray: Consolidation of the inferior segments of the LLL. Remainder of
the lungs are clear. Heart size WNL.
Sputum Gram Stain: many WBC, few epithelial cells, moderate gram-positive
cocci in chains and pairs
Questions to Answer:
- Based upon what you learned in class and from your readings, what are the 2most likely pathogens that would cause pneumonia in this patient?
- Based upon your answer to the above question, and the gram stain, what isthe most likely causative microorganism in this patient?
- What would you prescribe for this patient to treat his infection, and whatwould you tell this patient about those medications (i.e. AE, monitoring ofcondition…)?
- What other medications would you prescribe for this patient?
- How would you follow-up with this patient (i.e. under what circumstanceswould you see him back)?