Assignment Benchmark – Project Change Proposal
Max Points: 300
In this assignment, students will pull together the change proposal project components they have been working on throughout the course to create a proposal inclusive of sections for each content focus area in the course. At the conclusion of this project, the student will be able to apply evidence-based research steps and processes required as the foundation to address a clinically oriented problem or issue in future practice.
Students will develop a paper that includes the following information as it applies to the problem, issue, suggestion, initiative, or educational need profiled in the capstone change proposal:
1. Background- Child hood anaphylaxis
2. Problem statement- Anaphylaxis occurs in school aged children, often in the school setting. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening event. To improve the health outcomes for these children, this project proposes that nurse led training of children, the parents and non-medical school staff in the early recognition of anaphylaxis and prompt treatment including use of epinephrine auto injector.
3. Purpose of the change proposal- training of non-medical school staff on anaphylaxis recognition and for prompt treatment with epinephrine to increase the health outcomes for these children with severe life-threatening allergies.
4. PICOT- Among school aged children with severe food and insect allergies (P) will using nurse-led education for the parents, and non-medical school staff regarding early recognition of anaphylaxis and prompt treatment including hands on training for epinephrine auto injector administration (I) compared to no hands-on training and use of written data only (C) increase the understanding of non-medical school staff on allergies, how to avoid allergens, how serious anaphylaxis is, and reduce the delay of prompt treatment for anaphylaxis with epinephrine (O) over a two month period of time to train all staff.
5. Literature search strategy employed
6. Evaluation of the literature
7. Applicable change or nursing theory utilized- with training of non-medical school staff, these children with severe allergies will not have delayed treatment of epinephrine administration because there is no one there who can administer it.
8. Proposed implementation plan with outcome measures- see below and I will use of a post training survey.
9. Identification of potential barriers to plan implementation, and a discussion of how these could be overcome. -Winter weather can affect a lot of things in our state. A date has been set for a school wide training on 10-31-2018. If school is canceled related to the weather or let out early, then the training will have to be rescheduled. The training will include hand outs and a short video about signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis and how to use an auto injector. I will instruct on mild symptoms of allergies, how the children have an individual health plan which includes their own anaphylaxis action plan which could involve something for mild allergy symptoms such as Benadryl. And when symptoms progress when to use epinephrine. There will be a hands-on practice with auto injector trainers, for questions. Followed by a survey post training.
10. Appendix section, if tables, graphs, surveys, educational materials, etc. are created
Review the feedback from your instructor on the Topic 3 assignment, PICOT Statement Paper, and Topic 6 assignment, Literature Review. Use the feedback to make appropriate revisions to the portfolio components before submitting.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.